- Physical capacity is increasing from 16 to 32 beds on the patient care unit over the next 3 years
- A large children's playroom is a focal point of the space
- Majority of inpatients are admitted from the Emergency Department
- Paediatric family resource centre
- The average length of stay in the paediatric patient care unit is 2.1 days
- The average age of a patient is 2 years
- Therapeutic clown to support our child-friendly hospital direction
The health care paediatric care unit includes physicians, nurses, dietitians, physiotherapists, respiratory therapists, occupational therapists, social worker, psychologist and other team members. They work in partnership with the family to coordinate their services to provide care. Paediatric patients cared for are from birth to 19 years of age.
From the beautiful playroom to daybeds for parents, it is evident that a child-friendly atmosphere is a priority.
The child life specialist is an expert in child development who works to ensure that life remains as normal as possible for children in health care settings. They promote effective coping through play, self expression activities and age appropriate medical preparation and education. As advocates of family centred care, child life specialist work in partnership with doctors, nurses, social workers and other members of the healthcare team to meet the unique emotional, developmental and cultural needs of the child and family.
Services Provided by the Child Life Specialist:
Child life specialists focus on the psychosocial and developmental needs of children, collaborating with families and other healthcare providers to:
- Prepare children for medical procedures or treatment using language that children understand
- Introduce coping strategies to help reduce anxiety and enhance cooperation with the healthcare team
- Provide support and distraction during medical procedures
- Offer opportunities for play and expressive activities, to encourage normal development and a sense of FUN inspite of challenging circumstances
- Promote family centered care by providing information, advocacy and support to families of paediatric patients
Due to the high incidence of infectious disease in children, patients requiring isolation often occupy the private rooms. However, every effort is made to accommodate patient requests and those reflecting their insurance coverage.
Each room includes a daybed to accommodate one parent to stay overnight for each patient.
Bug is Credit Valley Hospital's own Therapeutic Clown. She loves to share her vibrant smile and big heart with everyone she meets. You might see her holding a ladybug purse, dancing through the halls with her bright pink skirt, sharing a moment with those young and old, making the world brighter if only with her big red nose! Bug offers emotional support to children and families using spontaneous humour, and gentle play to minimize stress during hospitalization and treatment. Therapeutic Clowning is an innovative and effective therapy, and is a vital part of the integrated health care team. The role of Therapeutic Clown in the hospital environment is one of confidante, playmate, and friend. Bug assists the Child Life Specialist in normalizing children's lives during their stay. She helps to create a safe play space in a changing and unfamiliar environment. Bug is specially trained in the health care field, with an M.A. in Drama Therapy. She would be delighted to meet you during your stay at Credit Valley Hospital!
Paediatric Patient Care Unit is located in the new Erin Mills Women's and Children's health Centre at the Credit Valley Hospital - A block. level 2 (Flower zone)
See Interactive Map
Peel Early Years - www.peelearlyyears.com
Peel Public Health - www.peelregion.ca
Peel Infant Development - www.peelinfant.ca
The Hospital for Sick Children Toronto www.sickkids.ca
Kids Health www.kidshealth.org
Caring for Kids www.caringforkids.cps.ca
Today’s Parent - www.todaysparent.com
Canadian Paediatric society – www.cps.ca
American Academy of Pediatrics www.aap.org
Kids at the Hospital:
Vivi and her Operation
Get the Flash Player to see this player.
Vivi Colouring Page
Click this image to print your own Vivi colouring page: